Kalamarides & Lambert

Does your child need bailing out after a DUI?

You may be the type of person who would help a friend or family member no matter the time of day or night. You may have told your children to call you at any hour with no questions asked if they ever needed your help. Still, you may have felt a tightening in your chest of mixed emotions when you received a late-night phone call telling you that police had arrested your child for DUI.

As a parent, many ideas likely ran through your mind during this call. You probably worried about your child's safety, felt a little angry that he or she ended up in this type of situation, and felt some panic about how you could actually help. Nonetheless, you stayed calm and would go to your child's rescue.

Can you come to the rescue?

Your first thought may have jumped to immediately getting your child out of jail. However, you cannot simply march inside and demand the release of your child. In fact, you may need to post bail for your child's release. Of course, in order to post bail, the judge will have to set an amount. During this time, you may feel helpless and wonder how your child is doing. (Though part of you may also think he or she deserves to sit for a while to think about the situation.)

Because a DUI is not necessarily a heinous crime, the judge will likely not withhold bail from your child. Not allowing bail typically results when individuals pose serious flight risks, dangers to the community or will likely face a life sentence if convicted of the charges. Still, when setting the bail amount, the judge will consider the crime, your child's past criminal history, level of flight risk and other factors.

Paying bail

After the judge sets a bail amount, your child may need help paying it. If you can and want to cover the amount, you will need to provide the Clerk of the Court a cashier's check, money order, real property equity bond or cash. After providing the payment, the judge should order the release of your child.

Though you may keep your promise and not ask any questions about what happened, you know that your child needs to handle this ordeal as best as possible. As a result, you may want to help him or her find an Alaska attorney to help address the charges.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Set Up A Consultation About Your Case Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response

Kalamarides & Lambert

Kalamarides & Lambert
750 W 2nd Ave Suite 200
Anchorage, AK 99501

Phone: 907-205-4997
Phone: 907-276-2135
Fax: 907-278-8514
Anchorage Law Office Map