The Experience You Need.
The Service You Deserve.

How to file a workers’ compensation claim in Alaska

On Behalf of | Mar 20, 2018 | Blog

When you suffer an injury at work, your first concern is probably for your health and safety. However, what follows right after is the worry about the financial consequences of the accident. How will you pay for the medical bills? When can you go back to work, if at all? Will you have lifelong health problems or need long-term care?

Workers’ compensation exists to address this situation. Your employer is responsible when you get hurt at work, and you are eligible to receive assistance to ease the financial burden. Here is what you need to do to receive these benefits.

Notify your employer

The first thing you need to do is notify your supervisor verbally if you are able. You must also file a report of your injury within 30 days of the accident. Give the report to your employer and the Alaska Workers’ Compensation Board. Keep a copy for your own records as well. Your employer will then report the incident to the insurance provider, the claims administrator and the board to start the claims process.

Obtain medical attention

After notifying your supervisor, see a medical provider for an evaluation and treatment. Who you can see may depend on your place of employment, but you are allowed to change doctors one time as long you tell the insurer. Any further changes will require the insurer’s permission.

Let the doctor know your injury occurred at work, who your employer and insurer are, and the requirement to send a medical report to the insurance provider and board no later than two weeks from this appointment.

Take time to recover

Your recovery plays a significant role in the type and duration of your workers’ compensation benefits. Follow your treatment plan to prevent receiving insufficient benefits or a claim denial. Maintain records of travel expenses, medication and other related costs for reimbursement.

If you experience opposition from your employer, then you will need to take additional legal action. Otherwise, you will receive benefits as soon as processing your claim is complete.